Tuesday, September 12, 2006

9-11-06 & 9-12-06 - Monday & Tuesday - On The Road

Wow. Sorry for not post yesterday. I'm absolutly beat. It's Tuesday night and tomorrow is our backing test. Finally!

Monday was spent in class in the morning learning more on log keeping and then a lesson on turns. In the afternoon we met our driving instructors for the road portion of our training. I was matched with "Bill", (not a real name). There were three of us assigned to Bill's truck. That's pretty good. Less students in a truck means more wheel time.

Monday in the truck on the road was rough for all three of us. Bill drove the truck out to a long road near the Great Salt Lake and we drove back and forth up and down about an 8 mile stretch of it.

I can tell you that learning to double-clutch is challenging. I have no problem with shifting a manual transmission in a car, but this truck kicked my butt on Monday. I acomplished the task, but there was alot of jerky starts and slightly hard stops.

After the afternoon drive in the truck we spent until 9:30 pm doing backing practice.

Tuesday was about the same. Class in the morning with a couple videos on safety and driving skills. Then we got a test on what we just watched. I took notes and we were allowed to use any hand written notes on the test. I got a 100%.

The afternoon was filled with more road driving. Today we worked on our turning and shifting. I did SO much BETTER than yesterday. I'm not completly comfortable with gthe shifting thing, but I have a clue and it doesn't intimidate me so much.

This evening we had another shot at practicing our backing. I think I have it nailed down. I feel comfortable with my backing. No promises, but I'm pretty sure I will probably pass no problem.

I'm hitting the sack now. I should try to be a little rested for tomorrow.

Did I mention that I'm really happy this is the last of the late nights at school. SO HAPPY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home