Monday, September 18, 2006

9-18-06 - Monday - Lost a Friend

No, no one died. But it was kind of surreal.

We started the day at 7:00 am at the truck. This is our last day of driving practice before our CDL driving test tomorrow. There were three of us in the truck with the instructor as usual. The same three that had been set up together last Monday. The woman who was with us drove first. She had been having problems and got some remedial driver training over the weekend. It showed. She still struggles a little bit, but she will be a driver. Yes, she will be a driver.

Next my other truck partner drove. He did fine. A bit rough like all of us, but he will have no problem passing the CDL driving test.

I drove last. That's good because I got to watch my other two truck partners drive first. Today was kind of a dry run of the CDL driving test that we will be taking tomorrow. I did ok. I feel comfortable with everything. I didn't hit any curbs, but my instructor did mention that a hair probably wouldn't fit between the curb and my trailer tires, (tandems), during two of my turns. Again, I say, I didn't hit a curb. It was close, but no curb. HA! I also lost the gears on the up hill stop. Just like my driving partners.

Ok, now to the sad news. The guy driving partner I had in the truck with me was told to go talk to someone in recruiting when we got back from driving. When I got back for our afternoon class session he was nowhere to be found. Turns out CRE found something in his past driving record that he failed to disclose. I guess that was it for him. I feel really bad for him. He was trying so hard and studying his butt off. Lesson here. Be up front about EVERYTHING!

The afternoon class session was a review of the written test tomorrow afternoon. This is a company test, not a CDL test, but it is a good idea to nail it. I have a 98% class average and I'm hoping not to lower it too much with this final test. It will be pretty hard to screw it up. Our instructor went over everything in detail. No excuses.

I'm going to go study a bit for the test and then it's time for some football! Go Steelers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home