Sunday, September 03, 2006

9/3/2006 - Sunday - The Journey Begins

First, a quick introduction to this Blog. I will be documenting my journey from ex-soldier, (my most recent prior occupation), through my hopeful career as a profession truck driver on the roads of America.

I will try to be a specific a possible and as revealing as well. I know that many reading this blog will be either experienced drivers that are courious to see what my experiences will be like and compare them to their own, or some readers will be interested in learning about the trucking industry and what it's really like to be part of this experience.

I'll keep it simple for today. I departed Centennial, Colorado yesterday evening for my drive to Salt Lake City to begin drivers training. I spent last night in Rawlins, WY and arrived here in Salt Lake today around 2:00 pm. I got myself checked into a local extended-stay hotel and made tracks for the nearest Walmart Super-Center. I got my provisions and setteled into my small studio hotel room. I could have elected to stay in the schools 6 man rooms for free, but I think that I would much rather have my own room and time for myself, even if I'm paying for it myself. I figure once I go on the road with my trainer I won't have much time to myself.

The trucking school I'm attending is CR England. (here-after referred to as CRE) I will be as true to my experiences as possible. I will relay what I'm doing and what is happening as true to life as I can. I will change the names of specific individuals to preserve their privacy.

All that stuff said, let me tell you what's going on right now. I'm a disabled veteran of the US Army and I'm embarking on a new adventure driving a commercial truck on the great roads of the USA! Right now, I have two days until my training starts. Monday is Labor Day, I start Tuesday.

I'm just watching some TV (about the events of 9-11-2001), and studying the Utah CLD driver's handbook. My recruiter suggested that it would be in my best interest to study this and I'm doing everything I'm told right now.

Wow, only a little over a day and I already miss my wife and 3 year old son. This is going to be the hardest part of this job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home