Thursday, March 22, 2012

Back in Gary

I started yesterday at a rest area near Snow Shoe, PA and drove to the Roehl drop yard near Philadelphia and dropped there around 0930. The drive there was fine after the wall of fog lifted when the sun came up.

After dropping my load I couldn't find an empty trailer so my FM had to get with the planners to figure something out. They sent a message asking me to look for a certain trailer which is fine, but I already told them there were no trailers there. It's no like after they send me a trailer number that trailer is going to magically appear. No trailers means no trailers. Oh well.

I was told to pick up an empty at a customer near Trenton, NJ on my way to the shipper. No problem. Got that trailer and went to the shipper by around 1330. They said the load would be ready by 1500. I got out of there at 1645. That's how it works.

I drove about 1 hour to Bloombury, NJ to get fuel at the Pilot there. That must be the smallest Pilot around. I thing every truck leaving NJ wanted to get fuel there. It took over an hour to get in there and fuel and get out. Trucks were backed up both ways on the road and the Pilot parking lot was a disaster! It must be a few cents cheaper than other places because seriously, every truck on the Interstate was stopping to fuel there.

I spent last night as a little truck stop in the Poconos and started driving this morning around 0500. I stopped for a nap and lunch and rolled into Gary around 1730. I had 6 minutes of drive time left and 1 hour left on my 14. Tight.

Here in Gary all trucks coming into the yard have to go through the fuel island for a trailer inspectioon, even if they don't need fuel. When I got here in the late afternoon there were trucks 3 deep at all 4 fuel lanes. It took an hour and a half to get fuel and get parked. I did run the truck and trailer through the truck wash and then I got a shower. I feel semi-human again.

Tomorrow I deliver in Pleasant Prairie, WI at 0900. I think I'll get up at 0600. I think that's more than enough time, even in morning traffic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home