Monday, March 19, 2012

Moving again....

I started the day with my drop + hook in Williamsport, MD. That went smoothly and I headed up into PA and across the PA turnpike. Easy going today and I got lunch with some family I have near New Stanton, PA. I got to a rest area near Jackson, MI and parked for the night. I deliver here tomorrow morning at 0600.

Now the interesting part. I got a preplan for a load tomorroa that picks up about 65 miles away in Wixom, MI and goes to Burlington, NJ for a Thursday morning delivery. That would be fine, but I told my fleet manager when I left the house last week that I wanted to be home on Friday the 23rd. I accepted the load plan because that's the right thing to do, then I called night dispatch and asked them when the computer had me scheduled to be home. They said the 30th. WHAT? I told them that I had requested to be home on the 23rd. They checked the Qualcomm messages and found the one where I requested my home time. They said they would send an email to my FM telling him the situation and I'm to call in the morning to talk to him about it. I told them I would be happy to stay out until Monday the 26th, but I really do want to be home next week.

Lesson here: Put everything in a Qualcomm message. It covers your butt because it's permanently in writing in the company's computers. If I had not put my hometime request in writing, it would be my word against the company's. I'm not saying that the company will try to screw you, just that mistakes happen and it's always good to have a written record.

Hopefully tomorrow will go smoothly. Deliver at 0600 and pickup at 0930. Then hit the road east for the Thursday delivery in NJ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home