Thursday, March 15, 2012

Traffic and Electronic Logs

I started my day in Harrisonville, MO. I picked up the trailer I had left at the shipper the night before and after scaling it to get the 45,500 lb load right on my axles, I headed north to shoot across I-70. I'm scheduled to deliver Friday morning near  Huntsville, AL.

Everything was going fine until I hit Nashville right at evening rush hour. It seems that everytime I go through Nashville, no matter what time of day it is, the traffic is crazy.

Normally this wouldn't matter but I was down to 1 hour of drive time on the electronic logs in my truck and I needed to find a place to park for the night. I was at an absolute stop and I switched the computer to show me as "on duty" not "driving". I was able to save some minutes that way. I think I idled about 2 miles in 20 minutes and the computer didn't show me as driving. By doing that I was able to get to a TA just south of Nashville with 1 minute left of drive time. Then I got to squeeze into a spot in the back of the lot. It's really crowded here. Normally I would have gone 20 miles down the road to a rest area, but with the electronic logs, I can't do that.

I have about 2 hours left to drive tomorrow and them I'll hopefully do a drop+hook and have another load lined up. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home